Email me

Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Back To School Survival Guide 101


What day is it??  Hump Daaaaaay!  That Geico commercial cracks me up.  For real...every Wednesday from now on I'm pretty sure you will find me saying it at least once or twice throughout the day...Hilarious.

Anyway, have I got a real treat for y'all!!  I have my first guest post ever today...Caitlin contacted me a couple weeks ago asking if she could guest on my blog and I jumped all over it!  She is in the process of starting her own blog, and let me tell you, this girl has some great topics to write about.  I told her to take the reigns on this, and write about a topic that my readers could relate to.  So, without further adieux, here's Caitlin!

********************************************

Hi all, I'm Caitlin Hudson, a full-time SAHM, nature lover, writer, and health nut! I am in the process of starting my own blog, but in the meantime, Jenna has been kind enough to have me as a guest on her lovely blog. Today, I'd like to share with you some of my tips for mommies trying to survive back to school time! If you have any questions feel free to email me!

Summers are the best time for family activities that keep me active alongside my kids, but I know that when school rolls around, the whole summer routine goes right out the window and I am usually left with little to no time to look after myself. Whether I am running kids to and from school, practice, or other after school activities, all of that time that I was able to enjoy being actually active in the park, on the beach, or just playing with my kids is gone. That’s why I’ve got a few pointers for staying organized and stress free in the back to school rush. 

Write things down
I like to have a physical calendar where I can write any appointments, events, dinners, guests, birthdays or almost anything that will take place. This works a bit like a checklist and when I put it somewhere that I look every day, it helps to keep my thoughts organized. I recently bought a new agenda from MomAgenda – it’s small enough for me to carry in my handbag, but big enough to fit all my appointments and notes. Having a calendar and scheduler on my phone is great, but most of the time I am not necessarily looking at my phone and I have missed some important things or been late to my kids' sporting events because of it. Writing things down helps me remember them, too. 

Don’t be last minute
If you haven't seen the ads already, it is time for back to school shopping, and as much of a burden as it can be, getting it out of the way early just helps me reduce my stress come the start of the school even more. There are loads of back to school specials, sales, and other events to help you save money, too. Most of these happen a bit earlier, so being ready for it is a huge boost. 

Cleanliness is next to godliness
Lots of folks swear by spring cleaning, but I find that the best time to clean and reorganize is the week when the kids are back at school. Not only is it nice to have the house alone again after three months of the kids being home, but it is even better to clear the clutter that has built up over the course of the summer. You would be amazed at some of the things I find hidden in the corners of my kids' rooms. Create a list of chores and set rules for the kids keeping their rooms clean. Don’t let your hard work go to waste! 

Most important, don’t forget about yourself
The first week is also a great time to get set in my own schedule where I can find time for my daily workout. Even though I am usually extremely busy, I make it a priority to fit in some sort of exercise. Workouts do not need to take hours to complete. Even if you have a very packed schedule, 30 minutes is doable. I personally have found the Focus T25 program from Beachbody to be a lifesaver – 25 minutes a day and I am done. Keeping up with a healthy diet and exercise routine will help reduce stress and ultimately have you feeling better about yourself.

There are plenty of other great things that I like to do to keep me organized and stress free because in the end, I know that it is not only healthier for me but also for my family. The first month when school starts is the most hectic and stressful, but you can do a ton of things to help reduce that stress. Granted, nothing ever seems to go according to plan, but preparing can go a long way to help.

***********************************

Until next time...  


3 comments:

  1. I agree with so many of these! Otherwise, things would be a little crazy in my house!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think every mother with school children should read this.

    xoxo
    Ivy
    http://www.purrpleivy.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree!! Things get pretty chaotic when school time rolls around...This helps to hold you accountable!!

      Thank you for popping over and saying hi!!

      Delete