Monday, July 22, 2013

Wedding Weekend Recap

Monday, Monday...we meet again.  And after our jam packed weekend, I'm definitely not ready to see you yet.  I need another day to recover from my day of recovery, if you know what I mean!  Here's what we were up to these last few days...(I'm going to apologize in advance for the overload of pictures...)


Madden and I headed back to my hometown right after nap time to make sure we were on time for my cousin's rehearsal.  We ran into some construction and were the first ones to come upon an accident, so the trip that usually takes us an hour and a half, took us two and a half hours...needless to say, we got to the church just in the knick of time to practice his ring bearer skills!

Trying to contain a two and a half year old in a church is like trying to rope a calf.  Yep.  That's exactly what I looked like, except minus the Wranglers and cowboy boots, and replace those with heels and a maxi dress.  Classic.

Luckily, he went down once with his partner in crime (his second cousin that is two days older than him) and we called it good.  They held hands the whole way, and looked like pros...we felt like we were golden...little did we know what they had in store for us the next day.

We followed up rehearsal with a rehearsal dinner at my Aunt and Uncle's, and left around 10, because we knew the following day would be a jam packed one!!

Saturday I began the morning the way I love when I am at my Mom and Dad's: a nice long run on the country roads.  There is seriously nothing more beautiful than watching the sunrise over the hills, with cows grazing in the pastures.  Pure serenity at its finest.
We had to be at the church at 11:30, to start pictures.  The wedding wasn't until 3.  Needless to say, we had a looooong time to fill with no nap for little guy.  I should have known that was going to lead to bad news later on.  So, between snapping three hours worth of pictures, running around like chickens with their heads chopped off and maybe a little bit of candy and caffeine to keep them awake, it was time for the big event.
The boys were ready to go, following the flower girls and a wagon, they held hands and we (my cousin's wife and I) held our breath and sent them on their way. (we may or may not have promised them oreos at the end of the aisle)  We rushed down the side aisle in order to meet them at the front, so we could steal them away because we knew there would be no way they could stand up in front the entire ceremony.  Well, we get two steps down, when all of a sudden we hear some crying and "Mommy!!" with everyone in the sanctuary laughing as we just see two little heads bolting in the opposite direction of the front of the church.  Sooooo, we hurry back to the back of the church, to retrieve our crying boys.  Well, we decided we didn't care how they got down the aisle, but they were going to go down come hell or high water.  So, she and I made our impromptu debut into the wedding party, by holding their hands and walking down the aisle together.  I was a hot mess.  I was sweating profusely because I was so embarrassed.

So we literally walked them down, and immediately turned towards the side aisle to head back out of the church.  All the while my son was screaming and crying because he wanted to stand next to my brother, who was a groomsman, in the front of the church.  It was a shit show.  But, the hubs grabbed him at the back of the church, and headed to his parent's house to get him down for a nap.  Poor kid was exhausted.  It was to be expected I guess.  But you know what, my cousin still got married!  It wasn't the end of the world, even though I felt like it was at the time :)
After a two hour nap, we headed to the reception and danced and drank the night away...Madden was the star of the show, doing head spins and belly slithers across the dance floor.  I didn't know where he was about 80% of the time, but he had a blast.  We all had a blast.  It was a great night.

Sunday morning we all slept in until 10, then headed back to Omaha.

The entire day yesterday was spent lounging, watching movies and napping.  Oh and turning our living room into a train station with Madden's new train set.  I couldn't tell who loved it more:  the hubs or M! We called it an early night around 8:30 and were cashed out by 9.  A great way to end the weekend!
Until next time...


  1. Oh my, I would have been so embarrassed at the time lol. But looking back it's actually kind of a funny memory. Looks like y'all had a fun filled weekend. :)

  2. OMG!! Madden is too much! I love this!!!!! :)

    Loved all the pic updates throughout the weekend via Instagram! Always enjoy seeing all the adorbs pics!!! Yay for fun family memories!!